The theatre on my home from work. I parked, changed into some running clothes, and had a run before the show began. When I returned, the hill was covered. I still had thirty minutes, so I walked over to Little Bigs and grabbed some french fries and an Arnold Palmer and found my spot on the hill.
I sat next to a bald, 50-something, plain-looking man who had probably made a good amount of money in his day. He was on "hippy hill" so he did what any bald, 50-something, plain-looking man would do, he kicked off his $300 shoes and busted out a bottle of wine out of his little cooler. Next to him were Leo and Scottie, two local homeless men well in their early 60's who spent the entire night boisteriously commenting on everything they saw. Needless to say, they were enjoying the night more than anyone else.
It was all good-hearted, but very loud and occassionally inappropriate. I did well to enjoy the show, but soon after it started a towheaded little boy, barely of walking age, wandered up to Leo and Scottie. It was the first time that night that neither men knew what to say.
The little boy broke the impasse with a large smile and an offer: a high five. At this point everyone on our part of the hill had their attention drawn away from the show and onto the little boy and the two homeless old men.
They loved eachother. They were high fiving and laughing, both parties enthralled with the interaction. All those nearby felt like they had been apart of something special.
The moment pulled away an unnecessary barriers. The businessman next to me was so tickled, that he began talking to Leo and Scottie. Before I left, the three men were sharing the wine and laughing about the 'coon that kept licking their toes at night under the bridge they call home. There were no socio-economic barriers that night.
I left satified. Satisfied having shared this moment with nameless strangers. Satisfied having shared a glimpse of the kingdom.
Isaiah 11:6-9:
6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
and a little child will lead them.
7 The cow will feed with the bear,
their young will lie down together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
8 The infant will play near the hole of the cobra,
and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.
9 They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,
for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD
as the waters cover the sea.

This is beautiful friend. :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm super pumped you saw Arlo Guthrie...jealous.
great story. this land is my land, this land is your land ...
ReplyDelete